I thought you would enjoy this recipe that I keep in the My Recipe Book app on my iPad (such a cool app – highly recommended!).
Eggplant Mozzerella Bake
I got this recipe from Recipe Book Selections (modified to vegan ingredients)
- 1 Medium Eggplant (Peeled)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tbsp Galic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3 egg replacer
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1 Large Green Pepper (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 lb Fresh Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 14 1/2 Ozs Stewed Tomatoes (2 cans)
- 6 Ozs Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (Shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, sprinkle with salt, put in a colander and allow to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat egg replacer. Dip eggplant into egg mix, then coat with a crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook first batch of eggplant in 1/2 tbsp oil for 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Transfer to an non-greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Add 1/2 tbsp oil and do the same for the second batch.
- In the same skillet, sauté the pepper, onion and mushrooms in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Sprinkle over eggplant, top with tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Uncover, place cheese slices over the top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned.